Euroradio Week on Latvian Radio 3 – “Klasika”
“The Euroradio Week is Radio “Klasika’s” most important international contribution to the “Riga 2014” Programme. We are very pleased that all eight concerts, which not only feature the leading orchestras and acclaimed soloists of Latvia, but also include many works by Latvian composers and a number of premieres, present the music scene of our country in the best possible way and in a great variety of genres,” emphasises Latvian Radio 3 – “Klasika” Director Gunda Vaivode.
It needs to be reminded that radio “Klasika” has been airing many broadcasts that were part of the “Riga 2014” Programme already since the beginning of 2013 in order to inform the public about legendary personalities associated with Latvia, major far-reaching events, and cultural and historic monuments. On Tuesday mornings, the “Riga 2014” Diary offers the listeners full information about the latest developments in the European Capital of Culture, and, most importantly, the radio offers concerts, in live broadcasts and recordings, that conceptually contribute to, or are part of, the “Riga 2014” Programme.
At the initiative of Latvian Radio 3, the Euroradio Week opened already on the 19th of October with a jazz concert at the Latvian Radio Studio 1, featuring the Latvian Radio Big Band, singer Kristīne Prauliņa, and pianist Viktors Ritovs. The concert was aired live, and a recording of the concert will be broadcast during the Euroradio Week on the 31st of October.
Programme of the Euroradio Week at “Klasika”
* Monday, the 27th of October at 9:05 p.m. – Recordings of the 11th Kremerata Baltica Festival concerts in Sigulda concert hall “Baltais flīģelis” on the 4th and 5th of July. Participants: Baiba Skride (violin), Lauma Skride (piano), chamber orchestra “Kremerata Baltica”, conductor – Jacques Cohen. Programme: overture to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s “Abduction from the Seraglio” and Piano Concerto No. 24 in C minor, K. 491, Franz Schubert’s Rondo in A major for Violin and Strings, D. 438, and Modest Mussorgsky and Jacques Cohen’s “Pictures at an Exhibition”.
* Tuesday, the 28th of October at 9 p.m. – “Tenso Days Riga” closing concert “Vox. Ancient Spiritual Chants in World Premieres” in Riga Dom on the 22nd of October. Participants: Latvian Radio Choir, Musicatreize, Sinfonietta Rīga, conductors Sigvards Kļava and Roland Hayrabedian. Programme: Pēteris Vasks, Ēriks Ešenvalds, Andrei Selitski, Bernat Vivancos (premieres), François-Bernard Mâche, Zad Moultaka.
* Wednesday, the 29th of October at 7 p.m. – live transmission from Riga Dom, a concert featuring State Choir “Latvija” and conductor Māris Sirmais. Also participating in the concert will be Marta Sudraba (cello), Pēteris Trasuns (viola), Jānis Porietis (trumpet), Edgars Bārzdiņš (trumpet), Edgars Saksons (percussion), Kristīne Adamaite (organ), Riga Saxophone Quartet. Programme:
Sir John Tavener – Svyati, Ēriks Ešenvalds – In paradisum, Giya Kancheli – Amao omi; Rihards Dubra – Accedite gentes.
* Thursday, the 30th of October at 9.05 p.m. – Closing concert of the Autumn Chamber Music Festival at the Great Guild Hall on the 25th of October. Participants: Sola Gabeta (cello), chamber orchestra “Sinfonietta Rīga”, conductor Normunds Šnē. Programme: Erkki-Sven Tüür’s “Lighthouse”, Pēteris Vasks’ cello concerto “Presence” (2012, Latvian premiere), Jean Sibelius’ Symphony No. 3 in C major, Op. 52.
* Friday, the 31st of October
Live transmission from the Great Guild Hall at 7 p.m. – a concert by the Latvian National Symphony Orchestra, pianist Reinis Zariņš, conductor Andris Poga. Programme: Ēriks Ešenvalds’ “Clouds”, Alexander Scriabin’s Piano Concerto in F sharp minor, Op. 20, Pyotr Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36.
11:30 p.m. – a recording of a concert by the Latvian Radio Big Band at the Latvian Radio Studio 1 on the 19th of October. Participants: Viktors Ritovs (piano), Kristīne Prauliņa (vocals), and Latvian Radio Big Band conducted by Kārlis Vanags. Programme: music by Raimonds Pauls, Marģeris Zariņš, Gunārs Rozenbergs, Kārlis Vanags and Ritvars Garoza.
* Saturday, the 1st of November at 9 p.m. – a recording of Giuseppe Verdi’s “Rigoletto” at the Latvian National Opera on the 18th of September. Cast: Samsons Izjumovs (baritone), Olga Pudova (soprano), Rame Lahaj (tenor), Krišjānis Norvelis (bass), Kristīne Zadovska (mezzo-soprano) and others. Latvian National Opera Choir and Orchestra, conductor – Mārtiņš Ozoliņš.
* Sunday, the 2nd of November at 5 p.m. – live broadcast from the Latvian Radio Studio 1, a concert inspired by traditional music. Participants: Laima Jansone (kokles), Raimonds Tigulds (hang), Artis Orubs (percussion), Andris Grunte (double bass).
You are welcome to enjoy the Euroradio Week concerts on the Latvian Radio 3 – “Klasika”, either on your radio or online. For latest updates of the programme, visit the radio’s Twitter and Facebook accounts.